Thread: HD shotgun: Rem 870 v Mossberg 590

Sergeant

HD shotgun: Rem 870 v Mossberg 590

I am trying to decide on a shotgun for home defense. I don't want to spend the money on a semi auto and have narrowed the search to the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590.

What are everyone's thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks.

Super Moderator

Re: HD shotgun: Rem 870 v Mossberg 590

870. Tons of aftermarket add ons and they have been the go to pump for everything from hunters to police for a long time.

Either will work fine for what you need.

IMO, it depends on which model 870... I have an Express Magnum & the 590 feels more substantial. The 870 Police feels like it is a heavier duty shotgun then mine.

I was actually looking at 590's for use in heavy metal division 3Gun a few years ago. They were hard to come by and I ended up with a Benelli Nova Tactical. Later on I did buy an 870 (didn't need it but w/the rebates I couldn't pass it up). Like Jason said, the aftermarket for the Remingtons is HUGE...
    "I'm a little to the left...of Ghengis Khan" my Dad 02/18/41-10/25/04

Sergeant

I had a 590A1 and it was a heavy gun i also had 2 870's i sold the 590 and bought a few up grades for my 870's and I've never been disappointed but thats just me.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=3340543

I asked a similar question.

Sergeant

Handle both and get the one that fits you better.

Sergeant

I seen a lot of people liked the safety better on the 590 i will say this if you decide to go with the 870 put and extended safety on it. You hold your finger out side the trigger guard until ready to fire anyway and your finger will ride on the extended safety when you put your finger on the trigger it will depress the safety at the same time. That way you can leave your grip on the rifle exspecially if you think you might ever put a pistol grip on it.

Sergeant

I am thinking I want a pistol grip on it, but I don't like the trigger safety. When shooting left handed, I am afraid of accidentally tripping the safety from resting my trigger finger on the trigger guard.

I read the link posted above also. Good info. What I have found is that the only difference is personal preference and there are no tragic flaws with either gun, which is what I was really interested in finding out.

Sergeant

I'm no trying to persuade u one way or the other but the extended safety only sticks out on the right side and is ressed on the left so it's almost impossible to push on the safety shooting left handed.

Sergeant

870 is lighter, quicker. Both are good shotguns but, if you're going with a pump and it's for HD, I'd get the 870.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Private

Love the 870.

if you have ever owned a mossberg.... you will buy an 870. [img]<>/wink.gif[/img]

Private

Mossberg 590 A1, is a beast that will last a lifetime. Could not ask for a better tactical shotgun.

I have not owned or shot a Mossy, so I can't weigh in on it. What I do know is this: I've been into AR's pretty heavy for the last 5 or 6 years. I've put that on ice right now, due to the craziness. I have gotten into shotguns in the last few months (tactical, hunted my whole life). This crap is addictive! I am shotgun bezerkers right now!

As for my selection, I like the 870's. I've hunted waterfowl my whole life. They can take a world class beating. As has already been pointed out, there is dang near as many parts for them, as AR's. Either way, good luck, Josh

I own both and like the placement of the slide release on the Mossburg better.
    It is behind the trigger guard and I dont have to move my hand forward of it to release it like on the 870
    BLUEJAZZ

Originally Posted By: wcb6092
    Mossberg 590 A1, is a beast that will last a lifetime. Could not ask for a better tactical shotgun.

This. I own two and love them.
    Proud Father, Former Marine, and Mack truck driver.

870 is a must have for everyone!
    http://VisionProShop.com
    Capture and share long range HD images and video using your smartphone with your scope or other optics.

take my karma boom

870 has merit but 590 is light years better. far easier to tac load on the move and still ready to fire without that silly 870 loading gate always in the way. 590 sights are better too. 590 better finish. the express 870's front sights have a tendency to bust off and the 870's are freakishly rust prone. 870 is a usable piece but id take a regular old mossberg 500 over it if pricing were better.
    dhs wants to put ther dik in our arse, thanks obama!

Sergeant

870 has so many upgrades available.

A light is about all I would put on a HD shotgun. Don't get like those ARs that have everything but the kitchen sink hanging off them and make the shotgun tough to move around with.

I would choose the 870. I actually like the safety position better on it as well if you add a big knob safety.

Love my Mossy. 20"barrel,7 rounds without an extension, dual op rods, topside ambi safety. Whats not to love?

Eric
    U.S.Army 13B 1986-1990,B Batt.1/189FA,How. Batt.1/11 ACR

I have used them both.

A Mossberg 500 (special purpose 8-shot) was the first firearm I purchased.

There is a vast quality difference between the 500 and 590 just like the 870 Express and 870 Police or Wingmaster.

My duty shotgun is an 870 Wingmaster that I upgraded with Hogue Youth stocks and MMC sights. My "fun" shotgun is a 870 Express for busting clays, etc.

I can fight with either shotgun. They both have their quirks. The top mounted safety on the Mossberg works well if you are a lefty or if you are constantly swapping sides, however it's pretty simple to come under the guard to operate the safety on the 870. If you put a pistol grip on the 590, the safety is in a really poor position.

I have absolutely no problem loading a 870 fast, while on the move. I am not sure what technique the poster above was using, but even our basic officers candidates get it pretty quickly.

Both the 590 and 870 have seen service with our armed forces. They are more than adequate for home defense (although I prefer other options). The key is selecting one, not hanging too much crap on it. Then learning to run it until you can do it in your sleep. Jams do occasionally happen on pump shotguns. When they do, you need to know how to fix it NOW.
    Wherever - Whatever - However
    8541tactical.com

take my karma boom

lonewolf, i wasnt saying a 870 couldnt be loaded fast, im saying that imo it isnt nearly as fast or ergonomic for tac loads while staying at point with one already poised to fire ..again both good rigs i just have huge preference favoring 590 or 500.

I see many references to the Mossberg "590". There is a 590 and it is not the same as the "590A1".
    The 590A1 has a heavy walled barrel, metal trigger guard and metal safety button. The 590 looks very similar but has a thin walled barrel and plastic safety button and plastic trigger guard, it is basically a tactical-looking Mossy 500.
    All 590A1 shotguns have 590A1 etched plainly on the left side of the receiver in large letters. Both types are parkerized but if you compare them side to side the 590A1 is considerably tougher built than the 590.
    If you are looking for a tactical shotgun there is only a small price difference between the two and the 590A1 is a better shotgun. The thick walled barrel balances very well in the 6 shot version and is plenty strong.
    Hope that clarifies the differences and saves some frustration.

Sic infit. Sic semper tyrannis.

Private

Never owned a moss but I know many that do and they seem to favor the 590. I have tried them but my older 870 Magnum is my preference. I keep it clean and it works every time without a hitch, regardless of the environmental conditions I am in with it.
    Like Winchester 52's? Here is my SH Winchester 52 thread. I am always looking to talk with fellow 52 owners!
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...26#Post2602826

Man is the only varmint that sets his own trap, baits it and then steps in it.
    Steinbeck....

Originally Posted By: marduk185
    lonewolf, i wasnt saying a 870 couldnt be loaded fast, im saying that imo it isnt nearly as fast or ergonomic for tac loads while staying at point with one already poised to fire ..again both good rigs i just have huge preference favoring 590 or 500.

I really am not sure what you are talking about. With the 870 all you do is push a shell into the magazine. The shell lifter is under very light spring tension and easily moves on it's own when you bump it with the nose of a shell. Even if the lifter was gone, it really wouldn't speed loading the magazine. We train to load while keeping the shotgun up and on target and the only problem I have ever seen is with individuals with poor upper body strength who can't physically hold the shotgun up with one hand. Even those can be taught a "workaround" that gets them up and running.

The 870 is far from the "perfect" shotgun. I just don't see what the problem that you are attempting to describe is.
    Wherever - Whatever - However
    8541tactical.com

Our duty shotguns are Wingmaster 870's that date to 1977, I agree with lonewolf they are not perfect but are very low maintenance. They are far better then a express and I even prefer these older units over the new police magnums because of finish. Most common problem I have to fix on them is broken slide rails and popped shell latches. The shell carrier is not a problem during reloading at all, and I have to do it alot.

Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC
    I have used them both.

A Mossberg 500 (special purpose 8-shot) was the first firearm I purchased.

There is a vast quality difference between the 500 and 590 just like the 870 Express and 870 Police or Wingmaster.

My duty shotgun is an 870 Wingmaster that I upgraded with Hogue Youth stocks and MMC sights. My "fun" shotgun is a 870 Express for busting clays, etc.

I can fight with either shotgun. They both have their quirks. The top mounted safety on the Mossberg works well if you are a lefty or if you are constantly swapping sides, however it's pretty simple to come under the guard to operate the safety on the 870. If you put a pistol grip on the 590, the safety is in a really poor position.

I have absolutely no problem loading a 870 fast, while on the move. I am not sure what technique the poster above was using, but even our basic officers candidates get it pretty quickly.

Both the 590 and 870 have seen service with our armed forces. They are more than adequate for home defense (although I prefer other options). The key is selecting one, not hanging too much crap on it. Then learning to run it until you can do it in your sleep. Jams do occasionally happen on pump shotguns. When they do, you need to know how to fix it NOW.

+1 Excellent points and great words to heed concerning your purchase decision.
    "VIRTUS IUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT"

My Good Guy list: michael sr, gunslinger169, rrflyer, ejd049, kamonjj, bob6118, Sprayed99, TacBlade, ohiofarmer, M24SWS, cruizer, SubXerO, zinny, MDShooter, Lucksthename

Sergeant

Both are fine, but I prefer the 870
    have alot more rounds thru per problem than the mossbergs I know

Private

Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775
    The 590A1 has a heavy walled barrel, metal trigger guard and metal safety button. The 590 looks very similar but has a thin walled barrel and plastic safety button and plastic trigger guard, it is basically a tactical-looking Mossy 500.

Thanks for the comparison.
    'Watch your top knot.' - Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
    I am trying to decide on a shotgun for home defense. I don't want to spend the money on a semi auto and have narrowed the search to the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590.

What are everyone's thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks.
    Honestly which ever one you like better, they will both work just fine. I personally think like the 500 series of shotguns better.

I prefer the Mossberg (I have two) but the 870 is a great gun as well. Your LGS will most likely have one of each, so drop in and check both out then go with whichever one feels more comfortable for you.
    Last edited by CRIMSONTIDE256; 05-07-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling error

Pick up a used 835 Ultimag on the cheap. Call mossberg and order the 18.5 defense barrel and have it shipped for $102.00. It is a 590 heavy walled barrel stamped 835. Now you have a HD gun and a Hunting gun that will shoot any 12 gauge loads you can find. The HD barrel is still chambered in 3.5 but is not overbored to 10g like the long barrels. I love mine.

The barrels are not advertised by Mossberg. You have to call them to get one.

J.J. Kelly
    I had many Rem 870's while I spent 27 years with Miami-Dade County Police; I was told it
    was the best shotgun, I now have a Mossberg 590A1. I have seen Rem 870 have all kinds
    of problems but the number one issue is the shell lifter. In the old days with the 870, if a
    shell popped out of the tube on to the lifter, it was jammed. We use to cut a slot to push the
    shell back. Over the years Remington "fixed" the problem by the "U" cut in the lifter. Still to
    clear a jam, it requires striking but on ground-hard. The Mossberg, when the bolt is closed,
    the loading port is clear; NO lifter in the way, shell pops out and falls to the ground. There
    are many other reasons to choose Mossberg over the Remington but this would start to be
    a book. If anyone wants to hear more e-mail me.
    Last edited by J.J. Kelly; 05-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Mossberg if you must
    "When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost" (SMDAVE)

Sergeant
    i would venture to say it pays to shoot both, i had a few 870s and a vang comp mossberg 590 and mossberg 500, i like how both fit, the remington 870s were heavier to me so it tried to love my vang comp 590 but eventually sold it because it was not comfortable for me to shoot. I can only go maybe 50-100 shells throguh my 590 before i need to stop. i can go through 100 shells and have when shooting clays without any fatigue. i now have a 70s wingmaster with upgrades to reliability and cut down the barrel. good stuff.

Sergeant
    The 870 is a tuff gun. Hunted with one for years and it still works flawless. When I went to a HD shotgun I couldn't cut up my faithful 870. Found a real good deal on a 590 with an extended mag tube, added a top folding stock w/pistol grip and it's good to go. Both are good for HD.

I have an 870 express. Its been out in the woods (turkey hunting), shot who knows how many clay pigeons. The ONLY issue I have had has been the bolt not going completely in to battery. I called Remington and they immediately sent me a brand new bolt no questions asked. The excellent customer service sold me with Remington. I think either model will serve the intended purpose you have for them. At the end of the day the only huge difference will be ergonomics (where do you prefer to have your safety located).
    "There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit"

Private
    It's hard to say anything bad about either. I've owned 2 mossbergs. The first I got for about 100 bucks. Was in kinda rough shape but functioned very well. I had a 28 inch modified for hunting and a 18.5 cylinder bore for hd. My only complaint was not being able to extended magazine due to the way mossberg barrels mount. I decided to sell it and bought a special edition 8shot 500. It's flat black receiver and looks like a 590 but with plastic trigger assembly and no bayonet lug. I kept 28inch barrel and removed barrel mount and bolt and repositioned to fit on a longer magazine. So I can have 8 20 inch tactical/home defense shotgun and 28 inch hunting shotgun by just swapping barrel. Had to make a custom plug from a 2 dollar Dow from lowes but has fired flawlessly. I really like 870s too. They have a lot of options for different magazine extensions. Only negative experience with 870 was I had to disassembly my brother inlaw's while dove hunting when brass separated from a shell in the chamber. Could have been ammo related but never had that problem out of moss. It's very relative to ford vs Chevy some people are stick to there brand but can't go wrong with either. I've been extremely happy with my mossberg.

Private
    Yeah, both are good SG's and if you don't have any experience with either then you'll like your choice. I've owned and shot both and each have their strong points. I've chosen the 870 as that is what is approved by my employer. I'm very satisfied with the 870 and have put many, many rounds through mine. I have five right now.

I recently picked up an 11-87 semiauto but have not put many rounds through it yet.....
    LEO
    M14 Rifle Association WA State Coordinator
    NRA Life Member
    USN 1972-76
    C&R03

Just got a custom 870 wingmaster and it's a dream. Can't go wrong with either though.
    CZ SP-01 Shadow
    Rock River Arms Lar-15

take my karma boom
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwaage1 View Post
    if you have ever owned a mossberg.... you will buy an 870. [img]<>/wink.gif[/img]
    funny i owned and trained with both and find the 590 vastly superior. more ergonomic and ambidextrous as well as tougher finish and better engineered. way easier to reload in a timecrunch without that stupid loading gate craptastica the 870 offers. that said...either shotgun is a quality made firearm and should with training serve to defend a home as well as your ability to implement it.

FWIW on a broader note, this is probably akin to blasphemy to many hiders, but i find all remington products rather "bleh."

Gunny Sergeant
    I have owned both, and would go with the Mossberg 509. The comments above about there being more aftermarket items available for the 870 are accurate.

My biggest reasons for liking the Mossberg are the ambi safety, and it is far easier to clear a jam if you have a round pop out of the magazine into the feed area.

To be fair though, I think either shotgun would benefit from a little personal attention after purchase.

The best is what you have and practice with.

Used them all, carried the 870 at work and used it the most but, they all work, what you have with PMC will be fine so. Go to a range, rent different guns until you find one that is comfortable, and get one of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IT IS NOT THE CRITIC WHO COUNTS.

Sergeant
    I just went through the same thought process ended up ordering an 870

870 vs 590; AR vs AK; Sig vs Glock... sigh