Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most reliable 22 LR pistol

Sergeant
    MK II or MK III or 22/45 are all going to be very similar. I recommend you get a Volquartsen extractor if reliability is your goal.

Private
    MK II and MK III have both been a mainstay of my stable for years and I love them. If I could find a decent stainless MK II government I would jump all over it. The availability of aftermarket upgrades really sweetens the deal although my stock bull barrel still shoots like a laser and is reliable as a Swiss watch. The only caveat I have found with Ruger autos is the take down and re-assembly. Maybe it is just me but no matter how many times I have gone through the process I still want to bang my head against the wall from time to time.

Sergeant
    It really depends on the level of competition you're wanting to participate in. For plinking and competition where a caliper won't be used for measuring the results, I recommend a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Unlike the Browning Buckmark, which I also like, no screws are needed for disassembly, and no replacement washers and buffers are ever needed. If you're serious about competing, then you may want to get one with a premium barrel (Clark, Volquartsen), which may adversely affect reliability with any ammo (or require that you stick to a specific type of ammo), or a more advanced, and expensive, design, usually meant to be used with a very specific type, weight, and/or velocity ammo. I own or have owned many makes, but the Rugers are the ones that are shot the most, informally, because they're the most reliable.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides...” Thomas Jefferson (borrowed from Cesare Beccaria)

Quote Originally Posted by MG-70 View Post
    It really depends on the level of competition you're wanting to participate in. For plinking and competition where a caliper won't be used for measuring the results, I recommend a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Unlike the Browning Buckmark, which I also like, no screws are needed for disassembly, and no replacement washers and buffers are ever needed. If you're serious about competing, then you may want to get one with a premium barrel (Clark, Volquartsen), which may adversely affect reliability with any ammo (or require that you stick to a specific type of ammo), or a more advanced, and expensive, design, usually meant to be used with a very specific type, weight, and/or velocity ammo. I own or have owned many makes, but the Rugers are the ones that are shot the most, informally, because they're the most reliable.
    I have to disagree on reliability. I believe they are equally as reliable. I have more than one buckmark, and a ruger. Both have been as equally reliable, and as equally accurate. The Browning has a better trigger, and a better grip angle.

Sergeant
    Go to Volquartsens website and build a MKIII. You can also use a TacSol upper if you wish. Mine has no Ruger parts in it and shoots like a dream.

I have had great luck with my Ruger SR-22 and Remington gold dot. It feeds like a machine gun!
    "Somebody once told me that God only gives us what we can handle. Apprently he thinks I'm a badass!"

Beretta 71...end of story
    Irish... by the grace of God.

+1 on the CZ Kadet.I have a Kadet upper on my P-01 frame and it runs flawlessly. You can't beat a good trigger job on a CZ.

Sergeant
    +3 on the CZ Kadet. I have limited experience with Ruger 22/45 LITE and Beretta 87 Cheetah and no experience with anything else.

I'm using adapter on top of my 75B SA that was worked over by Stuart Wong. The only issue I had was the angle of the ejector when I first got it and once I filed it down it's been 100% with all types of ammo, excluding primer issues from bulk pack stuff. I'd estimate that I've shot between 5k-10k rounds through it.

50 rounds each at 15 yards freehand. Federal bulk on the left and CCI Standard Velocity on the right. I'm sure I could've gotten it all within the 10 ring at this distance.

Ok I am going to cheat-Having owned Woodsmans, and Ruger Mk II's..I still defer to m vintage S&W k22's. The eat what ever I feed them and out shoot the autos.

Dude your converse are skanky
    Though it be broken-broken again - still it's there: the moon on the water..

Everyday gun would be the Buckmark. Favorite would be the High Standard Hamden Victor. Conceal gun would be the Bersa..........yes that's right, the Bersa. Totally reliable for the past several years. YMMV.

Gunny Sergeant
    RD,

OP asked about PISTOLS. Not revolvers.

In general the K22 is easier to shoot accurately than a Woodsman. It is not as accurate. I have owned and shot many of both over the last 45 years. It might require a Ransom rest for you to prove it to yourself, but the Woodsman will outshoot the K frame guns. And carry far easier.

Alright, if we're gonna post proof of what they can do,
    and since the hide is moving, might as well add a final "look what I can do".

my 1995 Buckmark Varmint with same year Redfield 2.5x7 EER

Proof of accuracy using bulk Fed 36 gr cphp

15 yards

25 yards

50 yards

There's a reason it's called a Varmint, accurate at 100 yards
    great for long range rodent control, with SK pistol match off a rest.

Fun to annoy the AR guys when my Buckmark's targets
    show smaller groups than their gadget covered 223/5.56 rifles.
    Last edited by justin amateur; 10-13-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Sergeant
    Justin, I'm sure that would be a great steel challenge gun.

Gunny Sergeant
    Not sure who's AR you are going to outshoot with that rig. I have sold Woodsmans for bad shooting that were far better than that, with issue sights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12