Thread: Who makes a highend, quality , portable shooting bench??

Sergeant

Who makes a highend, quality , portable shooting bench??

Before I spend several hundred building my own I'm checking to see if anyone builds a highend quality shooting bench that's portable . Looking for something rock solid once setup with virtually no movement . My brother will be shooting his BR gun off it as well with a rest is why I'm looking for a very solid , sturdy built rig.

Only one I find that impresses me is a Range Bandit but its cost $$$$$$ is only thing keeping me from buying it.

Here's a pic of it off the website.

Can be bought without the rest etc built in it. Top is fully weather proof I believe out of Polypropylene .

If you have the skills just build your own. It's retarded how much things cost for minimal supplies. I spent $1000 on a freaking router table. After I brought it home and assembled it I promised myself not to do anything stupid like that again.

Sergeant
    I had one built for longer range benchrest stuff (Cockcroft's stuff) to use here in North Texas at a couple of the ranges that we shoot that do not have those nice concrete benches that Mike has. I'll see if I can find some pictures and if I can't I'll take some this weekend because we have a match at Spanish Fort and I'll have it out for that. It's the best non-concrete bench I've shot off of.

Sergeant
    I have a homemade one also, folding legs, got instructions off of 6mmbr.com for build. I can't find the legs anymore, came from Rockler or woodworkers supply, but you could find a suitable replacement. Pm your email if you want pics.
    Worked like a champ in a prairie dog town this summer, beats laying in friggin cactus!

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something."
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Sergeant
    Judd's revised shooting bench | Rifles, Shotguns & Handguns | Texas Hunting Forum

That is the guy who made it and there is the a lot of pictures and description. With having 1.5" top it is really all I want to move around but it doesn't move and the majority of the time I don't even stake it down.

Good luck!

Private
    I have one called The Big Shooter. Not sure if they make them anymore. One guy shoots a 50 off it.

Sergeant
    Strong recommendation for D.O.A. I have heavy duty base (now standard) and large and small tops. Just stays in the back of my SUV and setup takes a minute. Its a real stable bench for when you need a bench. Also business is vet owned: great guys.

Sergeant
    The two guys I hunt chucks with built the benches mentioned here Rugged Buddy legs. There is a video floating around on how to build the bench. The key component are the Rugged Buddy Folding Legs which you can find on Amazon at a reasonable price. With the legs you could easily design your own.

Edit for Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...%2Ctools%2C488
    Last edited by Quarter Horse; 10-09-2014 at 10:25 PM.

I built mine with a 1.5" butcher block top and 2" 14 gauge legs. It all folds up and it is as solid as can be. I'll get some pictures tonight

Gunny Sergeant
    After seeing some of these I might see if the wife would prefer to shoot off a bench rather than the ground. It would make a good project building one out in the garage this winter.

I have one of these, it works great. Not cheap, but is very well made.

Model 2500 Portable Shooting Bench - TargetShooting.com
    Death can run faster than you, the best you can hope for is a great head start.

I had an Armour bench from many a years ago that finally gave up the ghost. The angled legs and braces were still good and the key to a great bench. I had someone build me a new top that i 1/3 larger than the original and two 3/4 inch marine plywood glued together. Cost me about $250 and worth it. It is not so portable anymore as the weight is a little rough but I fire a heavy big bore off of it. It gives me lots of room for necessary support equipment as well.

Do not build a table with non=angled legs.

Private
    I have the Caldwell one, while it works good the plastic top moves a bit. It would benefit from a wood top. They do make one with a wood top as far as I know.

Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarter Horse View Post
    The two guys I hunt chucks with built the benches mentioned here Rugged Buddy legs. There is a video floating around on how to build the bench. The key component are the Rugged Buddy Folding Legs which you can find on Amazon at a reasonable price. With the legs you could easily design your own.

Edit for Amazon link Amazon.com: rugged buddy sawhorse legs: Tools & Home Improvement
    I have built 2 of these for prairie dog hunting and am very happy with them.