Thread: Ruger LCP

Sergeant

Ruger LCP

Looking pretty seriously at the Ruger LCP for the wife. It will be for keeping around the house while I work nights (not that I think it will do much good if they get past the 90lb German Shepherd or 70 lb Lab/pit mix). I personally haven't fired one nor do I know anyone who has one. Anyone have any experience good bad or indifferent? Thanks in advance!

I had one. It carried easily, but it was unreliable so I sold it for a S&W 442.

Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I had one. It carried easily, but it was unreliable so I sold it for a S&W 442.
    Thanks! Reliability is my number one concern...

Sergeant
    Do you like the 442?

I have carried on daily for the last 4 years. Always shoots fine for me.

It's a Ruger . Nothing fancy but it works. I carry one everywhere and it never failed to go bang every time. Sometime its back up sometime its primary. Not my choice for home protection but a cool and effective CC choice. Get her 20 ga for the house more bang for the buck .
    If the next generation fails we have ourselves to blame,after all it's our job to lead the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo4Bravo View Post
    Do you like the 442?
    Oh yeah. I carry it more than any of my other pistols. It's simple, easy to carry, very reliable.

Went down this road before and failed miserably. I've found we tend to purchase smaller pistols for women, when they aren't really that conducive to accurate or enjoyable shooting for them. These smaller pistols have a lot of snap to them due to size and weight.

If it is for her at home, being able to conceal it really isn't an issue. I would suggest taking her to a large range that does gun rentals, and have her shoot a bunch of pistols until she finds one that she likes and feels comfortable with. If she picks it out and feels comfortable with it, you will be starting ahead of the curve.

Hope this helps you out in your endeavor.
    I'm hit... "Well fix yourself!" - Team Tic Magnet TL
    Amat Victoria Curam

Sergeant
    Father in law has one. No reliability problems and very concealable but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn while standing inside of it. Also practicing enough to be proficient wouldn't be pleasant.

If you're keeping it around the house i would look to something larger and more comfortable to shoot. If you or her plan on using it for concealed carry I would look at other pistols still.

Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory View Post
    Went down this road before and failed miserably. I've found we tend to purchase smaller pistols for women, when they aren't really that conducive to accurate or enjoyable shooting for them. These smaller pistols have a lot of snap to them due to size and weight.

If it is for her at home, being able to conceal it really isn't an issue. I would suggest taking her to a large range that does gun rentals, and have her shoot a bunch of pistols until she finds one that she likes and feels comfortable with. If she picks it out and feels comfortable with it, you will be starting ahead of the curve.

Hope this helps you out in your endeavor.
    Victory is right on the money for this one. The smaller pistols are often more difficult for the untrained hands to control.
    I have one of the LCPs, take it to the range for TRAINING because you need to know how it behaves or you will not be ready to use it. I don't take it to the range to have fun, I take my M&P 9mm to have fun. My wife couldn't operate the LCP effectively, but she could the full size 9mm. With some training however, the LCP can be adequately accurate, I can hit 8in plates all day at 10yrds with it.
    Coming soon: Deviant LH, Badger M5 DBM, Bartlein 6x47Lapua, Vortex Razor GenII 4.5-27x, Manners carbon elite T6-A, Atlas bipod, Timney, APA Little Jimmy muzzle brake
    Next: Action:??? LH, Wyatt's DBM, Bartlein 300WM, Scope:???, Manners carbon Elite T6-A, Atlas bipod, Timney Calvin Elite, APA Fat Bastard muzzle brake

I had one before it was stolen. Good little pistol. Never had a fail to feed issue. Surprisingly accurate out to 25 yds although I wouldn't recommend shooting at that distance to most.

But alas I must agree. A 20ga short barrel would be the logical choice.
    Sierracharlie out....

Mine has been very reliable but it does have a lot of snap and is difficult to control follow up rounds on target. I carry it all the time because it's so small, but I'd not recommend it to someone that can't put a lot of rounds behind it to get used to it.

My wife also found it difficult to operate the slide since it's so small - just an FYI.

I bought one a couple of years ago and have been really impressed. No malfunctions and headshots are doable at 25 yds. Hang on to the thing and be smooth on the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergeant
    Mine is carried everyday. Always fires when asked. You do need to clean regular to remove pocket lint

Gunny Sergeant
    If she wants a pistol, then look at the CZ83, Bersa Thunder or Glock 42. All are easier to shoot well than the ruger.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look towards the Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410, light weight, no recoil, low noise, kill you DRT.
    With the modern defensive ammo made for the judge, they are VERY serious business, especially with the duplex loads.
    Friend...
    Even if you will make mischief itself in trousers - it not interestingly me...

Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by fdkay View Post
    If she wants a pistol, then look at the CZ83, Bersa Thunder or Glock 42. All are easier to shoot well than the ruger.

Personally, I'd be inclined to look towards the Mossberg 500 cruiser in 410, light weight, no recoil, low noise, kill you DRT.
    With the modern defensive ammo made for the judge, they are VERY serious business, especially with the duplex loads.
    You know my father in law also has one of those bersa thunders and it's not a bad shooting pistol. I haven't shot it enough to recommend it with a clear conscience but my experiences with it have all been positive.